If you have a website or a blog you’ll know the importance of building a targeted list and having all your users email ids white listed (This is the process by which a user adds a company’s e-mail address to their e-mail address book or whitelist) and comply with the CAN-SPAM act (This is the U.S. law that regulates commercial e-mail. It stands for “Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act of 2003.”)
The process of white listing encourages all subscribers to do this and helps prevent “false positives” in which legitimate, permission-based e-mails are filtered. This helps you remain clean as a web business owner.
The CAN-SPAM Act affects some aspects of your email marketing business, especially if you intend to send an email newsletter or send emails about “deals” to your list. You need an effective email marketing system that maintains your email marketing list by complying to The CAM-SPAM rules.
Remember that whenever you use any form of email marketing you ll be complying with CAN SPAM and best practise for email. Not complying to CAN-SPAM affects critical aspects of your email marketing and web business.
Why should you consider using Aweber for email marketing on your website or blog
1 ) Uses the Opt-In Box
– CAN-SPAM requires that you have the permission of the recipients of your marketing emails (this includes ezines and newsletters) to send marketing messages to them. This means that the email marketing system that handles optin box on your website must include certain things. The opt-in box must require a positive action on the part of the site visitor. The visitor should have to check a box that says, “Subscribe me” or “Add me to your list”, etc.
You may NOT add a paying customer to your opt-in list automatically when he or she makes a purchase.
You can subscribe a customer who signs up for your mailing list at your physical store or at a meeting with you if they do it in writing and the signup sheet clearly states that it’s for a mailing list.
2) Uses double Opt-In
– Aweber uses double opt-in. It sends a confirmation email to the subscriber, and that they MUST reply or click to CONFIRM their subscription. It keeps copies of all subscribe notifications, it maintains this list for you. If you don’t use an autoresponder, you must maintain the list yourself.
3) It follows the CAN-SPAM rules.
– Just because a subscriber opted-in doesn’t mean that you don’t have to follow CAN-SPAM . Any message that you send of a “commercial” nature — having to do with your business — must follow the rules of CAN-SPAM .
4 ) Creates a CAN-SPAM Compliant Mailings
Identifies yourself in the “from” line of your email. You can use your real name, the name of your business, or the name of your website. The law requires that the “from” line identifies the sender.
5 ) Uses accurate headers
Real addresses should be in the “From” and “Reply-To” fields. If your present email marketing system does not allow you to use your real email address in the “From” and “Reply To” fields, change companies. Try the Aweber Email Marketing system.
6 ) Handles obvious opt-out instructions in every email
– A clearly defined and obvious unsubscribe link is required by the law. CAN-SPAM allows you to provide a menu of opt-out options. That means you can direct users to other targeted mailing lists when they leave yours.
It always reminds your subscribers why they’re receiving email from you. “You are receiving this newsletter because you subscribed to our mailing list. You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking this link.” It includes your physical address. It is the law that your physical address be included in marketing email messages.
7 ) Honoring the Opt-out
– Aweber honors all opt-out requests immediately. Email Opt outs are done automatically by Aweber email marketing system. If you are not using an email marketing tool or an email marketing service, you ll have to do this manually. Trust me doing opt outs manually is painful when you have an email list in the thousands.
If you’ re an affiliate marketer, you would want to use Aweber and comply with CAN SPAM :
– Keep relations with your Affiliate company or Merchants :
One of the foundational concepts in the CAN-SPAM legislation is that a company can be found in violation of CAN-SPAM even if they didn’t send the message.
The term “on behalf of” is found throughout the CAN-SPAM Act. This term, though vague, is directly related to the internet marketer/affiliate (or advertiser/publisher) relationship.
It means that if you, as an affiliate marketer, send a commercial message advertising a merchant whose
affiliate marketing program you’ve joined – BOTH you and the affiliate are responsible for following the rules of CAN-SPAM when it comes to that message and the list that it is sent to.
As you might imagine, this stipulation has lead to some nervous merchants. Here are some of the things that you can expect affiliates to do in an attempt to stay in compliance with CAN-SPAM:
– Email marketing bans:
Some affiliates will not allow email marketing of any kind. If you intend to promote via email, even if it’s through a newsletter or ezine, be sure to check the affiliate agreement to see if the programs that you’re joining allow email marketing.
– Added Disclosure and Opt-Out: Some affiliates will require that you add their email signature and opt-out link to your message along with your own CAN-SPAM compliant contact details and opt-out link.
– Approval: Some affiliates will require that you receive their approval on the message — and possibly even the list — before you send emails.
Aweber fully complies with the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 by the Federal Trade Commission which can carry fines of up to $10,000 per violation for what is considered email Spam.
This blog uses Aweber email marketing system to maintain a spam free email list and comply to the CAN-SPAM rules.
Aweber’s 30 DAY RISK FREE TRIAL
Aweber is offering you a 30 day RISK FREE TRIAL to test out the features of their email marketing service and see if it’s right for your web buisness. AWeber offers a risk-free thirty day trial. With this trial, you can set up your first email marketing campaign and quickly begin to see results. If you do not see results, or cancel your account for any reason during the first 30 days of your service, Aweber provides a full, hassle-free refund.
They know that technology can be daunting sometimes so they offer free webinars on topics such as effective email newsletters and how to get started to help you start taking advantage of the power of email marketing right away.
If you run into problems or questions Aweber provides an online knowledge base you can search for answers to your questions about using the system. You can also send them questions through their Help control panel or give them a call on their toll free number.
If you’re not using email to communicate with and market to your customers, give Aweber a try and see for yourself how it can add to your bottom line.
Apply for Aweber’s 30 DAY RISK FREE TRIAL