I know a few people, who don’t want to buy a domain and a web host because they don’t know whether they like to blog or not. Of course it would be a stupid investment if you don’t know if blogging is something for you.
If you don’t know, if you a going to like to blog, then try using
Blogger.com – for a week or so – then you will see whether you’d like to blog or not – if it is – buy a domain instantly and select a good web hosting provider .
Well Blogger.com is great for newbies, who want to try web-publishing. But, literally it’s hard to get a popular blog out of Blogger – it can certainly give you some traffic, but I’d only use Blogger for driving traffic to my main self-hosted blog.
Of course all the fun, starts when you get your own domain name. When you get your own domain name you are truly able to do whatever you want to do with your blog. When you have your own domain name you are practically only limited by your imagination.
1. Google can choose to close down your blog whenever they want to, if they don’t like your blog, they’ll shut it down (it’s proven)
2. It’s difficult to customize Blogger, it isn’t that much customizable – compared to self-hosted WordPress
3. There’s limited template options to choose. If you look at the templates Blogger allows you to choose, you will see how limited it actually is. This blog runs on the Thesis Theme, Thesis gives great flexibility and customization options.
4. Sometime blogs on blogger.com can be very slow to load
5. You also have limited monetization possibilities – well on Blogger
there’s Google Ads, but not many earn that much from that.
6. It’s not social bookmark friendly. Many social bookmarking sites, don’t accept articles from free blogs.
7. Custom URL – When you have your own domain name you will easier be remembered – if you have a hosted blog, your domain name will be less professional and memorable.
8. SEO Friendly – A self hosted blog helps in ranking your website based on the location of your host .
If you consider blogging for more than 3 months I really think you should buy a domain name – you can get one for like $6 a month or so – cheap ? compared to the ROI based on the monetization options available for self hosts blogs.
If you don’t see this as cheap, then I don’t think you should have a
serious business blog – Blogger is great for personal blogs though, unless you want to make it dead popular. If you just want a chill blog and don’t wanna spend lots of money on a blog, just write. Then go for Blogger.
I just need to make clear, that if you want to build a successful and a profitable blog it will be easiest using a self-hosted blogging platform such as WordPress.org.
If you are just a little bit techie you’d be able to set up your own
domain with WordPress. There are some webhosts that offer the “one-click-WordPress-install” – then there’s no need to be techie.
If your host doesn’t have the one-click-installation you just need to upload some files to a server and then install (not a problem at all), even my mom can do that.
My blog is my business, this is a self-hosted blog . I hope your blog is too.
HostGator is running a 20 % coupon code promo all of December 2009, Use coupon code “SNOWMAN” when prompted to sign up your web hosting plan.
The 20 % discount coupon expires 1 st Jan 2010