Contesting is an amazing viral tool that gets more exposure for your blog provided you use the contest strategically to leverage growth for your blog.
The objective of any contest should be to create a viral effect and increase usership for your blog.
Tips to make a blog contest successful :
1 ) Don’t rush:
– Don’t start a contest as soon as you launch a blog, get at least about 30 – 40 good articles on your site before launching a contest, ensure you have decent amount of traffic to your blog at least 25 – 35 visits a day to your blog, ensure your content encourages interactivity from your readers in terms of comments at least about 4 – 5 good comments per post.
Once you have the above you can start to work on a contest as you have now created a solid foundation for the contest to be successful.
2 ) Keep the contest simple:
– Keep focused on the objective of being viral, keep the contest very simple. Let the user do a maximum of 5 action oriented things to gain an entry in to your contest. Anything more than 5 will not go well with the user.Respect your users time for contesting.
3 ) Create a viral buzz:
– Ensure that you give entries or points to users to create a viral buzz for your blog. You should leverage social media sites like Stumble Upon and Technoratito favourite your blog, gain visibility and increase ranking.
4 ) Ensure a link strategy for your contest blog:
– Incentivize users with entries to link your contest post to their blog. This is the best natural form of getting noticed by Google. This will result in high Google ranking and high PR in the next update depending on how many sites link to you.
5 ) Use forums effectively:
– Use webmasters forums effectively to ensure that your contest post is visible. Create a contest thread for your blog on these forum to leverage traffic and entries to your blog. Use at least 10 – 12 webmasters forum for this activity. Ensure that each thread on each forum is different, the will help you in not posting duplicate content for your blog online.
Every webmaster forum has a Contest sub section, make use of this to promote your blog.
6 ) Ensure reputable sponsors:
– Good sponsors and prizes are always an attraction for any contest. Ensure you tie up with reputed blog and sites to build attraction for your contest. High the value of the prizes better the response to your blog contest.
7 ) Get high commenting:
– Ensure that you comment intelligently on top traffic blogs in your niche and drive traffic to the contest post instead of your home page.
Let’s see how WebTrafficROI performed on the above points in terms of traffic and readership.The figure below indicate the before contest and after contest scenario.
RSS users :
38 122 ( till last night, not sure what happened to the feedburner this morning, its only showing me 40 RSS readers )
3,85,000 2,18,000 ( the blog is moving rapidly below th 200 k mark )
Google PR :
The contest has shown that it can significantly improve your blogs ranking and traffic in less than a month. You need to ensure that all the above factors are well executed.
The blog did not spend any money on advertising the contest on any blogs nor did I comment on blogs leading to the contest page.
The traffic and readership for the blog was a natural and viral progression of effectively leveraging the contest post on the blog.
If you like this post , you may want to subscribe to my Email or RSS feed.