If your website isn’t generating leads and sales, you have a conversion problem. That means your website visitors aren’t taking action, and instead, they’re just backing out because your site isn’t meeting their needs.
If your website isn’t converting, it could be due to one of these 7 mistakes
1 ) Your copy is difficult to scan
– Eye-tracking studies show that online users tend to scan content rather than read it word for word. In fact, they scan web content in an F-shaped pattern. This means you need to format your copy in a manner that’s easy for visitors to quickly scan. You can do this by using short paragraphs, bullet points, numbered lists, subheads, and bolded phrases throughout your copy.
2 ) You don’t have a strong headline
– As soon as someone lands on your website, they’re greeted with the page’s headline. If the headline doesn’t connect with the visitor and pull him in, he’ll back out of your site quickly. You need to have a benefit-rich headline that’s clear and interesting.
3 ) Key information is hidden below the fold
– Web users spend about 80% of the time above the fold on websites. This means you need to put your offer and key benefits up top so readers can see it without scrolling down. Also, get rid of those huge banners that push key information below the fold.
4 ) There isn’t a clear call to action
– What do you want people to do when they land on your website? Fill out a form? Place an order? Subscribe to your newsletter? Figure this out, and tell the reader what to do next.
5 ) Customers don’t trust you
– Online shoppers are more skeptical than ever before. The internet is full of scams, and savvy customers just don’t trust companies they don’t know. How can you gain their trust? Include testimonials on your website, and eliminate risk with money back guarantees.
6 ) There are too many distractions
– Your website needs to be clean and easy to digest. Don’t fill every single space on your site with widgets, graphics, content, videos, etc. Leave some white space, and direct the user’s eyes to your main message. Anything that is unnecessary and distracting should be eliminated.
7 ) You’re targeting the wrong keywords
– The wrong keywords bring the wrong traffic. That’s all there is to it. You need to make sure your site is optimized for relevant keywords that attract your buyers.
What tactics have you used to increase your conversion rates? Share your best tips by leaving a comment.
This is a guest post by Eric Branter.
If you want to guest post on this blog check out the guidelines.